Active Marin Physical Therapy is excited to offer Myofascial Decompression to help patients dramatically improve mobility and reduce muscle tissue tension. This technique, rooted in Eastern Medicine, uses negative pressure cups coupled with functional movement patterns and Neuromuscular Reeducation. Myofascial decompression is currently being used by Olympic athletes such as gold medalist Michael Phelps and US men’s gymnast Alex Naddour for pre and post-workout recovery and detoxification.
What Is Myofascial Decompression?
It is used to decompress adhesions and scar tissue, relax muscles in spasm, decrease trigger point pain, and to reduce inflammation following trauma. Over time, the treatment can be used to increase muscle endurance, circulation, and lymphatic drainage and to enhance the overall ability to recover from strenuous activity.
What are the benefits?
1. Decompresses adhesions and scar tissue
2. Helps relax muscles in spasm
3. Stimulates oxygenation and detoxification of blood while promoting a feeling of lightness and relief of pressure
4. Helps separate the various layers of fascia and muscle under skin
5. Increases range of motion and promotes healing in scar tissue and chronic injury sites
6. Increases lymphatic drainage & promotes circulation
7. Enhances the overall ability to recover from strenous activity
What can it treat?
Myofascial Decompression has been shown to be effective for tight and stiff muscles as well as those suffering from back pain, sciatica, piriformis syndrome, IT band pain, rotator cuff injuries, and plantar fascitis.